Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Corn Fritters with Avocado Salsa

When spring finally rolls around I'm always tired of hot and heavy winter stews and I crave something light and fresh.  These fritters with avocado salsa strike a nice balance between light and filling, making them perfect for spring.  They're also delicious and surprisingly simple to make. Here's how I made them (recipe at the bottom):
 
I diced up some red onion...

   
...and minced a clove of garlic.

I cubed a couple avocados


    
and I diced a tomato.


I finely chopped some jalapeño...

...some cilantro...

...and a scallion.

I added all the ingredients to a bowl and sprinkled over a little salt.

I squeezed in half a lime.

I added a little red wine vinegar.

And finally, a drizzle of olive oil.


All mixed together, here is the avocado salsa!

...

Now for the corn fritters:
I drained a can of sweet corn and dumped it into a bowl.

In went some red onion and scallions.


I measured in some all purpose flour.


Then I measured in a little cornmeal.
In went some baking powder...
...and some baking soda.

I melted some butter and added it to the bowl with two eggs and milk.

And I mixed it all up.

I made 7 fritters from this recipe.

Into the hot pan with coconut oil.


I fried them until golden brown on each side.


Beautiful and so delicious!


Corn Fritters with Avocado Salsa
For the Salsa:
2 ripe avocados, cubed
1 tomato, diced
1 1/2 Tbsp red onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp jalapeño, finely chopped
1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1 scallion, chopped
Juice from 1/2 lime
3 tsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt

Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl.

For the Fritters:
1 can sweet corn, drained
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
2 scallions, chopped
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp butter, melted
2 eggs
2 Tbsp milk
1 tsp salt

Mix all ingredients in a bowl.  Form 6-8 fritters.  Heat vegetable or coconut oil over medium high heat in a skillet until hot.  Add fritters and fry each side 2-3 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.  Drain on paper towels and serve topped with avocado salsa.

~Ashley









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...